Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

54. Re: Notch Backtracks on Psychonauts 2 Support Feb 6, 2013, 04:15 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 22:10:
Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 15:35:
As someone that has moved around the country and been in cities big and small (though never rural or suburban), I can say that I'd happily take much less disposable income and have more options at hand. The Midwestern city I live in now blows. Good food is hard to find, you need to drive almost everywhere, the lack of upper echelon schools deemphasized education and overemphasized getting pregnant so finding an intelligent, educated, attractive single girl is neigh impossible, etc.

Being a single guy with a lot of money in a small to mid sized city is far less entertaining than being one with much less money in a big city.

Overly absurd stereotypes, ahoi! Yes, Beamer, I'm sure there are no attractive and intelligent girls to be found anywhere, nor is there anything to eat in your city. Rolleyes

I've said this about a billion times before, but let me take one more stab at it: Your personal experience does not somehow equate to "this is how the rest of humanity feels about it as well."

I think quite a few of these devs, if given the chance between working in Shitsville, Arkansas, or Cool Single Dude Town, California, would work in Shitsville if doing so meant they'd have a far better chance of their studio surviving throughout the years. Not all of them, surely, but I think quite a few would happily make that sacrifice. Because it's not just THEIR personal lives that cost less, it's also the expenses of the place they work for, and thus it has a better chance of surviving as well.

But hey, I don't really give two shits. They can all work in studios in Silicon Valley if that makes them happy. I'll just nod knowingly when Yet Another Dev Studio can't pay its bills because they went without a contract for a month and thus goes belly-up.

Creston

We have a really good example of a studio that tried to move to a cheaper place to do business. They payed gobs to move their staff to the new city, and even secured a nice fat loan from said local government, and... went belly up. 38 Studios.

You can do it, but it's very difficult. Providence didn't have any local talent, they moved those guys there, and that was costly (38 studios was supposed to sell their houses for the employees that moved). And being a game programmer/developer/artist is a very specific skill set. Lots of cities have thriving software houses, but only a few have thriving software GAME houses.

And it better be a location as cool and interesting as SoCal, Seattle, or Austin, or your talent will pack up and leave when they get bored.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo