Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

126. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 5, 2013, 16:40 Quboid

I'm in danger of agreeing with you here.

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 15:31:
Quboid wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 15:25:
I'm pretty sure I give an example of how there's more keeping black people disadvantaged than some black people using their victim status as an excuse to be an asshat.

Speaking of asshats, at this point the strawman that you're arguing against is getting embarrassed, and he's not even real. Average doesn't mean all.

That very well could be Quboid, it still doesn't excuse it. At what point do we move on however? Or do we just stay in this perpetual state of blacks are owed something because slavery existed? Hell guys like Reverend Al Sharpton have made a career out of this shit. And I use the term Reverend very loosely here.

We are moving on. Very, very slowly. I'd like to click my fingers and be done with it but unless I get can the memo to 7,000,000,000 other people, it still exists. This doesn't excuse individuals who use their victim status as an excuse to be more of a victim, which I think is a valid point that you're getting it.

A few years ago, Bill Cosby made a speech about this which was impressive:
"They think they're hip," the entertainer said. "They can't read; they can't write. They're laughing and giggling, and they're going nowhere."

He also had harsh words for black men who don't have jobs and are angry about their lives.

"You've got to stop beating up your women because you can't find a job, because you didn't want to get an education and now you're at minimum wage," Cosby said.

Generations of discrimination (decreasing, but still a serious issue) is a reason for problems, but it's not an excuse for perpetuating the problem within your own race. This is a generalisation, but that's my problem with black people using the N word. It's not racist like it would be if I used it (depending on context, I used it earlier in this thread and no one seemed to have a problem), but it is perpetuating the use of discrimination as an excuse for underachievement, rather than a reason.

- Quboid

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo