Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

121. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 5, 2013, 15:12 RollinThundr

Quboid wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 14:55:
Perhaps he turned to crime because the caveman who manages the local Burger King hired the white kid instead of him.

Maybe he couldn't get a job because he has a criminal record from when a cop found weed on him - during a search that wouldn't have happened if he was white (as per the 28:1 search ratio I linked to before). Even when the 'victim' is guilty and deserves their punishment, discrimination contributes to racial disadvantage because the white guy with weed benefits by getting away with it, and then gets a job that the black guy couldn't get - even if the employer is totally non-discriminatory.

The thing is, individually, I agree with you. I've no sympathy for individuals who deservedly go to jail. However, when the same things happen to the same sections of society, something's gone wrong. Over generations and millions of people, this will add up and create social divides.

Beamer said nothing about no white kids being below the poverty line, you're arguing against a strawman. How are we as a world and as people in general ever going to move on if we bury our heads in the sand?

BTW, everyone judges people by looking at them, to some extent. Everyone.

Actually he said the whites are all middle class, or generally at the very least. Which alone is eye roll inducing.

Yes there are intolerant and racist people in this world and that sucks, but to say it excuses anyone to be an asshat based on it doesn't work either. Two wrongs don't make a right as the old saying goes.

"So life for an average black kid and average white kid are very different, because an average black kid is in or near poverty and an average white kid is in the middle class. Sure, we can compare a middle class black kid to a middle class white kid, but so far fewer black kids are in middle class so what's the point. Beyond that, even if a black kid is in the middle class when he goes out people see him and generally assume he, like the average black kid, isn't."

This statement bothers me a lot, no really they're not any different, both of them regardless of background can have a successful life regardless of skin color.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo