Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

7. Re: Amnesia Fortnight 2012 Released Feb 2, 2013, 15:48 Dev

wtf_man wrote on Feb 2, 2013, 10:53:
As much as I like Tim Schaffer, Ron Gilbert, and the team at Double Fine... I'm a bit more conservative about giving up cash. When They complete the Kickstarter Adventure Game... I will be happy to support them more.
Or, if you had donated during humble bundle, when they were hosting the live streams, hosting the daily documentaries, and hosting the finished prototypes, it could have been yours for about a buck

BTW, if anyone did do that, don't forget to watch the finished daily summaries, they are quite good:
http://www.humblebundle.com/double-fine
killer_roach wrote on Feb 2, 2013, 13:01:
They do this every year.
Yep, and they budget for those 2 weeks every year, and schedule things so that those 2 weeks every year are taken into account. I very much enjoyed watching the daily videos of that 2 week process. Some businesses do a company wide retreat, DF does a company wide creative juice jumpstarter. Basically they operate similar valve for 2 weeks, working on whatever they want. People get so psyched up and so into the projects, they work weekends and late nights during that 2 weeks, even knowing they will never get reimbursed and the game they are working on may not ever get sold. As additional benefits, they try to pitch these prototypes to publishers and a number of their previous games have come from amnesia fortnights like this (stacking, costume quest, iron brigade are among them).

Also, DF has multiple projects going on simultaneously. They budget and schedule each one independently. I was impressed by how they knew ahead of time for the adventure game it was going to go over schedule/budget at their current scope/pace, and were trying to change things in advance. That kinda evaluation is HEALTHY and ALL software companies should be doing something like that. A lot of kickstarters and first time companies, they only figure out that stuff after they've run out of money and its too late.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2013, 16:36.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo