Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

33. Re: Steam in Hot Water in the EU? Feb 2, 2013, 13:41 saluk

With the whole personalized storefront thing Gabe talked about in that talk and inventory etc, maybe they are working towards allowing this. I bet they could find a way to make it financially viable.

Steam is great, and there are few digital storefronts that make it easy to get a refund or allow you to sell what you have bought... but it doesn't have to be this way. If Amazon can succeed by showing you ads of the product you are looking at with a cheaper price, Steam can succeed by allowing used game trades. They probably wouldn't make as much on sales - but the sales lately haven't been that great. And if they take a percentage on trades (not sure if that would be legally acceptable, but it would still be a ton better than how it is now), they might make the same or more over time rather than waiting for the sale to get the bulk purchases.

Who really DOESN'T want this are the game publishers. And if steam started doing this it would be interesting to see if the publishers stick around, or if more back out and do their individual stores like origin. I think many publishers on steam do rely on sales for a lot of their, um, sales, and if there is a lot of user to user trade going on I'm not sure if they would see that as much. Having to compete with users would be difficult.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo