Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

33. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 1, 2013, 22:15 jdreyer

Saboth wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 20:50:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 16:27:
As soon as I see a large cohort study demonstrating definitively that games (fantasy) lead to crime in reality, I'll start to believe it. But this article is simply conjecture.

The fact is ALL violent crime has been on a steady downward trend for the past 20 years, while games have exploded exponentially in usage time and popularity during the same time period.
EDIT: Draugr beat me to it.

The difference of the present vs 10 years ago is the same as it is 10 years ago vs 100 years ago. The number of guns and the availability of them. There's almost 1 gun for every citizen today, and we are pumping out thousands of them on a daily basis. I don't believe our society is any more violent than in the past, but there are hundreds of thousands of more guns available every year. That means easier access for kids, mentally disturbed individuals and criminals. Although we have background checks, they do nothing in the case of personal sales, gun shows, craigslist, or thefts, because no one tracks them after the purchase.

Right, despite this, all violent crime is on a downward trend, that is decreasing over time. Add in some gun control and it will decrease further.

Also, another startling stat: 60% of all gun deaths are suicides.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo