Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

19. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 18:02 Flatline

InBlack wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 10:03:
While we are on the subject of movies and all the remakes (re)imaginings that are being done today, I think someone should have another crack at Dune.

Lynch's Dune was such a craptastic movie that no one is willing to touch that project with a ten foot pole.

Visually Lynch's Dune was fantastic aside from a few things here and there. The acting was anywhere from solid to tolerable, and I always felt the film captured the world of Dune and managed to butcher the story. I know that originally Lynch wanted a story far closer to the book but the studio over-rode him and wanted the happier ending (rain on Arrakis), and that he wanted the first book to be a full trilogy instead of a 2 hour film. When that didn't work, he asked for 3-4 hours and they told him to kiss off.

He did the best with what he could I think, and managed a lot of visually interesting moments.

Compare that to the more story-accurate high school play atrocity that was the Sci-Fi miniseries abortion... With felt clothing, absurd costume design, horrific acting, terrible casting (Eastern Bloc Fremen FTW!), and set design and lighting that was an abomination (seriously... wrinkled back drops with sand piled up on the bottom, with the back drop painted in blues but the set lit in green... that reflected off of the back drop...), the miniseries *almost* ruined my love of the story and it was years before I felt like revisiting it.

Any remake of Dune would have to tread very carefully and devote itself to some serious world-building while still being true to the story.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo