Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

13. XCOOOOOOOMMM!!!! Jan 31, 2013, 17:35 Creston

Holy mother of God... I think Xcom was getting tired of me kicking its ass, so it set the record straight.

Mission: A landed abductor.
Squad: 2 sniper colonels, 1 assault colonel, 1 support colonel, 1 heavy colonel, 1 support sergeant (I was trying to level her.)

I start right outside the ship, and other than one three-wide row of half cover, there's nothing else, other than the entrance sides. Move my whole squad to the side, end turn. Next turn, I move one guy to the three-wide row.

*2 outsiders spawn on the balcony to the right.*

Since they are in cover, my shots suck, so I get three guys out to the three-wide row, pop smoke and hunker down. I figure once the aliens have wasted their shot and hopefully missed, I can run&gun over there and take care of the most heavily entrenched one. This goes as planned. However...

*2 Elite Mutons spawn at the far end of the entrance.*
*2 Mutons and 1 Berserker spawn behind the far door*

I'm not sure either of these was a teleport, but it's possible.

Both sets of Mutons walk in close and take cover, while the Berserker, obviously runs straight for me. Since I'm still stuck, I pop my last smoke grenade, take out the Berserker, and manage to do damage to one of the Mutons. One of their shots hits my support sergeant but fortunately only does 4 damage. I think I'm okay.

Then the shit hits.

*3 Cryssalids teleport/spawn at the end of the entrance hallway* They run straight for me.
*1 Cyberdisc and 3 drones teleport at the side of the entrance hallway* and sit there waiting for their turn to fuck me over.
*1 Sectopod teleports at the end of the hallway and sits there waiting for its chance to fuck me over.*

So now I have 14(!) targets, several of them in my face, others in high entrenched cover, AND my squad is already down to 1 shot or reloading because of the previous two turns. And my backup are straight pistols because I never bothered to bring anything else except two laser pistols for my snipers.

Cry

Oh Classic XCOM. How you hate me.

I did make it out of there, though not without three squad members going critical (I was amazed none of them died). Fortunately I had two support guys. Everyone in my squad also went into the hospital for about a week once we came back.

Here's screenshots of the aftermath (never thought to take pics while it was happening...)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=124171361
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=124171345
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=124171337

Creston

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 2013, 17:53.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo