Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

6. Re: Morning Q&As Jan 31, 2013, 12:23 2nd_floor

OK, cool.

It is a bit funny comparing Steam to Windows 8, true, but I think I mean that Steam is controlling of how we manage our games: install them, patch them, run them.

You're right Valve/Steam does not force developers to use it, but they do force their ways on users, the way they want us to manage games. It's controlling more than closed, so you're right. I guess I'm frustrated with the problems Steam can cause. But then again you could say the same thing with Microsoft, that if you don't like the way they do certain features and requirements in Windows, that's also frustrating.

Having said that last thing about Microsoft, I do find Steam brings more frustrations to gaming than is necessary. I could scream at some of the annoyances and controlling ways in Steam, everybody can. It can be very limiting to how we manage games and what we can do with them.

I hope to see consoles die off and the PC rise again, but that may be a joke. I think the console idea of the same hardware for every unit has really taken a bite out of PC gaming. I also like the keyboard and mouse for gaming rather than a controller.

I think right now the problem for a Steam box running on Linux/Unix is that the are still very very few games for Linux/Unix. Maybe 20-30. One reason why developers haven't written games for Linux is that is can be very difficult to support, because it has so many variants. (Also obviously because it has such a small market share of gamers). A Steambox may solve this, but if it runs Linux/Unix (not the Android variant of Linux/Unix), it needs more games to reach a wider audience.

Gabe Newell says we will be able to install Windows to the Steambox if we want to, for the selection of games I guess? But that means we have to buy a copy of Windows. Which seems that they just want to get their name into the living room. A good idea I guess. The only thing they are selling right now though is Steam on PC hardware, for the living room, with very few games for Linux anyways.

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 2013, 12:45.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo