Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

19. Re: Evening Q&As Jan 30, 2013, 00:18 Jerykk

Assuming console certification is just a much hassle as pc hardware combinations is folly to me. A developer would have a list of the criteria the console manufacturer is going to test against and their expectations for each point of contention. If a developer is having hassles getting certified it's likely because they're trying to slip sub-par work to the marketplace, not because this PS3 has a different sound chip than that PS3.

No, getting certified is a hassle because the publisher's cert group is extremely paranoid and will write up the most retarded and improbable bugs known to man, many of which have extremely low repro rates and require the tester to do things that no real player would ever do. Publishers, not wanting to risk failing certification, will demand that every cert bug be fixed. As the submission date draws near, the dev's producers have to tirelessly negotiate with the publisher to waive the dumbest bugs. Then the publishers have to do the same thing with MS or Sony.

Cert testing costs more than PC compatibility testing and the submission process itself is also very pricey.

While I agree with your final line in theory, the reality is EA wants to launch all platforms on the same day. I don't think they care -at all- to sell more PC units than any console, they just want to be able to offer the product to as many platforms as possible as quickly as possible. Quite frankly the PC market is not nearly as substantial as its proponents like to claim (and I do prefer gaming on my pc too), but the numbers don't lie, look at Dead Space 2's sales - 1.3 million on the 360, 1.23 million on PS3, and 260 000 on PC. source - http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=dead+space+2

You are aware that VGChartz is completely worthless as a source for sales figures, right? They pull numbers out of their ass and don't cite any verifiable sources for their figures. At best, they loosely base their figures on NPD charts, which don't include digital distribution or international sales.

If you want the developers to cater to the pc crowd, then the pc market need to generate 5 times more sales, or increase the price by 5 fold.

Nonsense. PC support amongst developers and publishers has increased significantly over the past few years. Genres or series that were previously console-exclusive are now showing up on PC. More and more ports are receiving PC-exclusive features (Hitman: Absolution, DX:HR, Far Cry 3, Just Cause 2, Dishonored, Skyrim, Saints Row 3, Red Faction Guerrilla, Borderlands 2, Max Payne 3, etc). If PC games sold as poorly as you seem to think they do, we wouldn't be seeing this trend. The lack of effort being put into DS3 goes against the trend and speaks more to EA's general incompetence than the health of PC gaming market.

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 2013, 00:24.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo