Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 28, 2013, 15:55 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 15:35:
Redmask wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 16:08:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 16:02:
@ Redmask,

You'll pull my tower from my cold dead fingers.

I like my tower too but there's little advantage gained by having one anymore. We're outstripping resource requirements from even videogames. Storage is one of the few things where it makes sense anymore.

I used to have that attitude but now I realized that I don't really care if its a big tower under my desk or a little device on the table so long as they accomplish the same functions. If anything this will mean an even bigger PC market, we can't stay rooted with towers while the rest of the world makes smaller devices. The manufacturers won't go along with that for long.

I'm not wedded to my tower just because that's what I've always had. There are benefits to it that no other system has:
- Price/performance beats any device.
- Power envelope beats any other consumer device
- Longevity - I've gone through a couple of laptops and several laptop hard drives in the 5 years I had my last tower (Core 2 Duo, 8800 Ultra). I rebuilt it over the summer (core i5, GTX 670) and plan on having this one at least as long.
- Maximum flexibility: it does whatever I need, it has almost no limitations excepting portability
- Accessibility. I can troubleshoot/fix it myself, which is not the case with other devices.

Yeah, but these benefits are fleeting:
1) Price/performance depends on manufacturers continuing to support the platform. That support, those R&D dollars, and those capital investments are drying up
2) Power also depends on R&D innovations going to this platform over others, which is no longer true.
3) Can you really claim longevity if you rebuilt? Sure, it's the same case, but if the guts change...?
4) Flexibility will never be matched, but again, that flexibility is fleeting
5) That accessibility will never be matched, but again, it's fleeting

I'm not convinced we're going to PC-as-a-service, with us all having dumb terminals we just plug in. I mean, probably eventually in some medium-long range, but I don't know how soon that'll be. There should be zero need for accessibility at that point, though - you never have to fix anything. You plug in and things either totally work or, if there's some crisis, totally don't. Nothing between.

We'll see small, portable devices that aren't a PC form factor but do everything a PC can, including hook up to a mouse, keyboard and multiple monitors, first.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo