Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2013, 22:44 Creston

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 20:56:
Creston wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 16:16:
Euro Truck Simulator 2 is awesome, btw. Not a game, really, though it has some gamey elements to it (upgrading your truck, buying skills, leveling up), but the sim part of driving a truck is great, and I find a fun, relaxing diversion for a few hours at a time.

Probably not worth 40 bucks if you're wanting a game out of it, but if/when it goes down to 20, it's well recommended.

Creston

What are you playing it with control wise? I watched Giant Bomb's quick look but they were using a wheel and pedal set there. Given the number of buttons and whatnot, I was wondering how well it worked with a gamepad or keyboard/mouse.

It drives well enough with an Xbox controller, though I really wish there was a way to remap accelerate and brake off the left control stick. Because the left control stick is also steering, and it's tough in corners to accelerate and steer precisely sometimes.

But other than that it works pretty well. Obviously a wheel would be better, but I don't have that kind of spare scratch lying around at the moment.

MisterBenn wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 21:36:
The main strength seems to be the graphics, they are bold and clear and the colour scheme is well chosen for terrain and roads so it helps with a feeling of realism. What isn't so good is the simplicity of the map. Obviously you need to simplify for gameplay's sake, but it's like 6 turns in total on the drive from Dover to Cambridge! The M25 doesn't look different to normal roads, the Dartford tunnel was not present and so on. If you live somewhere on the map and are looking for some recognisable features then you will probably be disappointed.

Yeah, they mapped only highways and major thoroughfares, and even then they skipped quite a few of the highways. It's not as if there's a shortage of roads to drive on, but I do wish they'd taken the little extra time and at least modeled all the major interstates. I took a job from Amsterdam to Calais and was quite surprised to find I HAD TO go through Luxembourg just to get there!

Some of the landmarks are spot on. Coming out of the Schiphol tunnel on the A4 just outside of Amsterdam takes you right past the airport, as it should, and underneath the taxying planes, as it should, but then 5 seconds later there's big apartment complexes beside the road, and as I was going "wtf... those aren't there!" I realized that in the game, I was already approaching Rotterdam.

The distance has been crimped pretty heavily, which is going to lead to issues like you said where you take 6 corners going from one place to another. Though if you want a challenging drive, I can heartily recommend taking a trip from Poland to Czechia. No highways. Have fun hauling that load across 80km/h country roads filled with S curves and hills and valleys that will slow you to a crawl...

The driving is fun though, the lorries feel heavy and unwieldy as they should do, it's amusing to overshoot a turn and then get into reversing with traffic around. It's also quite cute when AI cars flash you and wait or cut you up like in real life! There's a progression system where you unlock licenses for different types of jobs and more dangerous goods to transport and I think you can own multiple trucks and depots I believe although I didn't play that far. It seems quite fun but I wonder what the longevity is like, perhaps the business building brings another dimension to make you keep playing.

The business building stuff seems pretty rudimentary. I mean, it's there so you can use if if you want to, I just don't really see what the point is, really. You can take a 400K loan and get that business going, and it'll pay itself off in 10 days or so, it's that simple.

I'm just sticking with my one-man trucking company, as that way the money is at least a little tight and I look forward to being able to buy another upgrade.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2013, 22:52.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo