Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

8. path of exile Jan 27, 2013, 07:55 Orphic Resonance

yeh i played a few hours.. cant say i will be playing for months or whatever but im still going back for a bit at least - which is something i cant say for all the others like d3 and torchlight etc

its definitely like a sequel to diablo 2.. very strong vibe from that whole era - which is odd considering all the other modern twists going on

it reminded me of how Diablo is like the king of grinding - in my memory it seems like no game quite like that existed until it came out, except Gauntlet but that was different because there was no stat/skill/item progression.. and then i remembered that the whole MMORPG scene was just starting out right at that same time.. also seriously "grindy"

thats my problem with both of those genres, the grinding - which is, essentially the entire game.. there is no other point to it, and in fact everything else is minimized and streamlined to enable more grinding

it gives me a strangely unpleasant feeling to play these games for a long period of time... and i look at minecraft in the same way

its weird because i do realize that all video games are essentially "distractions" or "time sinks" or whatever, but something about these grinding-type games makes it seem like they have distilled the very essence of wasting time - like making crack, rather than simple cocaine... and imo the fun somehow gets removed or diminished in that process

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo