Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

47. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 23:19 Cutter

SlimRam wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 22:39:
Prez wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 22:04:
Admittedly being old myself, I struggle to not be "that guy" who blathers on about how great things were in the old days. They had their ups and downs, just like any generation. Honestly, these days it is easy to be skeptical, negative, and hateful about most things since more often than not there are myriad reasons given to do just that; experience dictates that it's the safe "default mode". Still, I personally am enjoying gaming as much today as I ever have despite certain regressions in areas (as noted by jdreyer and others) - I have actually become more tolerant in my old age instead of less, which is weird. So while I am tolerant of many of gaming's aforementioned regressions to a point (Blizzard and Bioware have in recent years regressed far beyond even what I can tolerate, and EA just flat-out sucks), I also find myself being tolerant of the the rampant negativity among those of us who are not so willing to tolerate many of modern gaming's shortcomings as I am. In truth, while it seems that many here default to hate mode almost immediately, from what I've seen this place if anything is pretty mild compared to other places, and actually the people hating in one thread to the next aren't usually the same (with some exceptions ).

THIS pretty much.

I lurked on these boards for MANY YEARS before I ever posted and the thing I always took away from reading the comments here was this: The group of people on this forum are generally well informed, honest (to the point of brutality sometimes), but MOST of all..... They're fucking PASSIONATE about games and gaming, seriously. I have seen game developers come to this board to defend or maybe "inform" of certain design decisions or gameplay aspects that were unpopular. Well instead of the usual 'let's kiss his ass, HE'S the developer' maybe on other forums; instead if his game SUCKS then the people here plainly tell him 'Your Game Sucks' BUT...not so much with hate.....Well...unless it was Derek Smart {SHHHH SHHHH I KNOW were NOT supposed to chant the name LOLOLOL} But then to just honestly EXPLAIN in brutal honest detail WHY his game sucks... And that's what I found so awesome about this forum and the people here. Proud to be a part of it actually *SALUTES*

Exactly. There are no fanboys here when the devs come around. We try to be respectful for the most part but we certainly don't pull any punches. And still they come back. That's the one thing I've always loved about guys like Derek from Bioware because you know he's reading some of the scathing shit were saying about Bioware - well BiowarEA at any rate.

Heh, I have to say that speaking of Smart. The fucking flamewars on the Usenet gaming groups back in the day used to be legendary! Stuff like Blues, AV, VE, Stomped, etc. were really just coming into their own while this shit was ongoing in those newsgroups. Ahhh, good times.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo