Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

8. Army, Navy Jan 21, 2013, 18:30 jdreyer

both the Army and Navy are seeking contracts for the creation of updated virtual PC simulation games that will look and play more like Call of Duty than the games already available...According to the report, the Army is looking for a first-person, massively multiplayer online shooter to replace Bohemia Interactive's Virtual Battlespace 2. It is offering a contract of approximately $44.5 million over five years to the winning application, which must include the ability to integrate more players across larger landmasses and accurately re-create territories like Afghanistan.

A few things jump out at me.

1. If the Army is looking for a game that looks like Call of Duty, then it needs to spend $200 million like Call of Duty did.

2. The reason that Call of Duty and BF3 look so good is because the maps are limited to a few square miles. You can't get that level of detail across a space the size of Afghanistan.

I guess it's good to put out an open call, but if they went with Bohemia Interactive the first time, it would might make sense to go with them again. That engine renders huge swaths of land and Arma 3 is shaping up to be a pretty good looking game. Are there other games out there that could be used for this?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo