Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

12. Re: New Evochron Mercenary Jan 18, 2013, 20:17 Aero

Overall I like it (largely because it doesn't have much in the way of competition these days), but it is definitely let down by the VERY clunky UI. As stated previously, that's very nearly a deal-breaker by itself. You get used to it, though, and it's functional once you learn all its idiosyncrasies, but it should be much, much better.

I also agree that the factions have no character to make you really care one way or the other about them.

My biggest gripe is with the combat AI. They never attempt to close the distance or press an advantage, so battles always end up the same: you thruster up to high speed, and then slowly maneuver to pick them off one by one at the extreme range of your weapons while trying to stay out of their gun range and picking off their missiles. It's much more like capital ship combat than fighter combat. Quite frankly, I think I'd like it to be a little more arcade-like in this regard. I like realism generally, but the Newtonian model kind of just presses home the fact that space "fighters" aren't really on as a realistic thing. Nonetheless, that's what I want. I'm willing to give up some realism for that...or, alternatively, more realism, and model g-force effects on the pilot, which would put severe limits on how the ships could change direction and accelerate. I'm not sure if this would work, but it might.

All that said, the real die-hard fans are mostly in it for the multi-player, which bypasses a lot of these issues.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo