Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

11. Re: Halo 2 PC Server Shutdown Next Month Jan 17, 2013, 12:23 Verno

Techie714 wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 10:57:
Why should companies be forced to support legacy games? these companies are in the business of making money not supporting old games.

The companys right to make money is a separate issue. No one is infringing on or suggesting they don't have a right to make money. Hell, no one is even saying they should incur unfair expenses. People paid for a product and the multiplayer functionality is part of that product. No one expects them to shell out millions every year to support Ghost Recon 1 or Halo 2 but the cost argument doesn't make much sense, these things are low maintenance and generally cost very little. They already have power and server farm costs, those are ongoing expenses that the removal of a few games isn't going to save them much on. I don't know what kind of business model they are using that does not factor those costs into the product sale either.

Now with that said I'm all for these companies releasing the source so the games can live on, but now you get into a whole legal matrix, so it's easier & less costly just to shut down these servers. But I totally agree with those that want to keep playing these old games, they should be allow to.

They don't even need to release the source, they can just release the dedicated server and lobby binaries, presumably if there isn't any proprietary or unlicensed code (I suspect this is a big part of it) in there. Anyways bottom line is that no one is saying them doing with Halo 2 is a big deal, I think the fact that they supported it this long is laudable. I was just lamenting the fact that companies don't take a friendlier approach with their user communities and have some goodwill.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2013, 12:40.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo