Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

12. Re: Op Ed Jan 17, 2013, 11:11 Prez

Golwar wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 08:02:
It always baffles me when the kind of logic is mentioned that we are violent creatures, so why care about violence in our environment at all?

Good question. I think it has some to do with our ability to empathize. EDIT: That, and knowing there will be punitive consequences due to violence in a society that has laws against it in order to maintain some semblance of order.

It is true that games surely ain't the major factor or reason for gun violence. But does anyone really doubt that they have no impact on the youth at all? Not even the slightest?

I haven't seen any evidence of it myself, nor have I seen any evidence to support the causality people always infer. At best it seems to be a possible correlation. But a cause? The evidence is just not there.

I've always been opposed to hyper-realism in shooters or extra over the top brutality in games to add some spice. If that is all that makes a game special enough to appeal gamers, than there is something going wrong.

If you are correct that there is "something going wrong", I would say that the prevalence of ultra-realistic violence in games ( and movies, and TV shows, and books, and music) would only be a symptom of it, not a cause.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2013, 11:30.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo