Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

9. Re: Op Ed Jan 17, 2013, 07:47 El Pit

InBlack wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 04:39:
Correct me if Im wrong, but Europe has access to violent games, film, books, documentaries, media etc. etc....

...and yet you dont hear about violent school shootings about once or twice a year from say France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy etc. etc....

For Germany, you're wrong. There have been a couple of school shootings with several victims over the last decade. As usual, all fingers pointed at violent games and movies. The true reasons (the killers were bullied in unbelievable ways, had huge problems with their families, had access to guns, and so on) have been ignored. In one case, the nutcase who shot former schoolmates even fooled his family for almost a year: he had to leave school because of several reasons (one of them being too dangerous and unpredictable to attend school anymore), but never told his parents. Instead, he still left home "for school" every day. But nobody wanted to discuss this behavior after he shot teachers and pupils at his former school, which imo clearly proves his disconnection from his family or maybe even fear of parental consequences, instead the usual scapegoats were publicly crucified: games and movies.

Politicians and industry need these scapegoats. They don't want to discuss the growing pressure on young people who sometimes collapse and turn into dangerous psychopaths who still get ignored till they go on a rampage. It's too expensive to start psychological programs at schools and universities, and in no way do they want to discuss how to reduce competition and pressure in a society that very early segregates between hopeless bottom feeders with very, very few chances to leave their pariah level and those happy few people who later in their lives will live off those pariahs (more or less).

Times are getting harder everywhere with worldwide markets and worldwide competition. Which western country can really compete with work slaves in China, India, Malaysia, and so on? NONE! That's why conservatives try to reduce social welfare for those who are simply unable to compete at high levels (the help being denounced e.g. as "social hammock"). In the end, everybody loses, it's just living on borrowed time for everyone involved.

And no, I can't see any alternative to capitalism. This competition, it's in us. It's a part of being a homo sapiens. And it's an inner drive that dooms us.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2013, 07:54.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo