Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

27. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 16, 2013, 10:54 Beamer

Creston wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 01:54:
Beamer wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 00:37:
Who gives you the right to buy violent video games? Was that, like something in the 26th amendment and I misse dit?

I'm pretty sure that was implicit in the SCOTUS ruling that videogames are protected under the first amendment. As in, they can be made, and you can be free to purchase them.

As for the statue, these devs seem to think that 'publicity' stemming from the fact they are vulgar assclowns is fantastic. If so, they also have the freedom to think that, and to act on it.

The statue in question personifies the words "No taste whatsoever" and their timing is of course very deliberate (More negative press! Woohoo! Maybe Joe Lieberman will get all pissed off about it!) but other than that, eh. Marketing peons everywhere seem to think that cheap schlock is the way to go.

Creston

I'll give you this. It's a good response.

But you're also the only person in this thread not excusing these guys. No one is saying that they shouldn't be allowed to make this, they're saying that they chose to make this shows a problem in the gaming community. Which you're acknowledging.

But you're the only one.

Everyone else here is saying things like "deal with it," or "first world problems" or "don't like it don't buy it," as if it simply not being purchased means it isn't an example of a problem. When we actually discuss a problem most likely it's "shut up and make me a sandwich" or "stop whining about first world problems."

Gamers tend to be straight white males, and tend to get EXTREMELY defensive whenever a non straight white male says that they feel a bit excluded. Again, this board (but not you) is a perfect example. People bend over backwards to say that they know what it's like to not be a straight white male because of one incident that lasted five minutes.

Do we have a problem? Of course. Most here deny it, but c'mon, we're a board that I believe is exclusively male. Do we have a single female here? Just one? Anywhere? We're also almost exclusively straight - not that it's particularly obvious but I only know of one non-straight regular poster. Ethnicity is even less obvious, but I'd put $100 that says our regular posters are more than 90% white.

There's a problem, and every response in this thread not yours is just proof of that problem. Hell, in another thread some guy said he refuses to play a game where the character is a black man because it breaks immersion... and few called him on it!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo