Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

62. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 16, 2013, 09:33 Verno

But that's not this game, Minecraft, which is a complete game.

Missed this one. I don't really consider Minecraft a complete game. I don't even consider the sandbox aspects of Minecraft truly "complete". It has a 1.0 version but that's just a number and not really indicative of how complete most aspects of it are. It's too subjective to really debate with someone, is Garrys Mod a complete game? It's sold as one now but the user largely crafts the experience itself. Minecraft is similar. Some people are going to think it's a game based solely on the amount of time they spend or etc.

To me too many aspects of the game are rudimentary or obviously intended to be expanded at a future point for me to consider it a complete experience. It doesn't mean someone can't enjoy it though, I certainly did for awhile. I just know that I would have had more fun if the rougher parts of the game were more fleshed out. Just using combat as an example, why have combat if its going to be a boring, rote experience with no depth that doesn't challenge the player? I'm not saying it needs to be a CRPG but there's a lot of mechanics in the game that could do with some attention before more features are added.

I don't regret the time or money I spent on Minecraft and I'm not criticizing the value proposition, I just wish they would make their mind on what kind of product it's going to be instead of going in so many different directions at once which just leads to half baked mechanics and features. I realize Minecrafts roots but it's a different beast now, with Notch no longer really working on it and a full team of others doing so the expectations change. Anyways I'm not trying to change your mind, you wanted me to explain my thoughts and so I did.

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2013, 09:45.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo