Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

45. Re: Bowl O Drama Apr 22, 2003, 12:40 Pedle Zelnip

Well, to start I'll begin by saying I haven't yet seen bowling, or any of Moore's other films, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

In regards to the Forbes piece:

The comment that the kids didn't go bowling so the title is flawed completely misses the point. I don't think Moore (or anyone else) truly believed that the kids went nuts because they bowled that morning, but rather Moore's playing with the idea of the post hoc fallacy that just because something happens before something, it follows that the prior event was the cause of something. For example:

"I ate bacon & eggs before I got that A on the test, so therefore the bacon & eggs were what caused me to get the A"

Obviously this is ridiculous, but the mass media sure seemed to be hopping on a lot of equally ridiculous causes for Columbine (such as playing DOOM, listening to Marilyn Manson, etc). And I think the title "Bowling for Columbine" is a parody of this silliness of the mass media.

The welfare story is a valid criticism, and seems to be one that is echoed a lot by not only Moore critics, but (oddly enough) even many Moore supporters. The criticism being that Moore distorts or leaves out facts to make stories fit his point-of-view. However, I think this criticism can be leveled not only at Moore, but the vast majority of journalists as well. I'm not saying this is an excuse for Moore's actions, I'm just saying distorting/leaving out facts is more commonplace than I think a lot of people would like to believe.

The talk about the bank & the gun completely misses the point. I don't care if the bank did a background check or not, using guns as a promotional tool is truly bizarre and twisted.

There was also a commment earlier to the effect of many stabbings occuring in Britain, as to support the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" position. The thing is though, guns have no other purpose than to kill (perhaps not people, but if not people then animals). That is the relevent dissimilarity between guns, and say knives.

Anyways, sorry for the length of this post. I have a cold, and needed something to do.

PZ

PZ
------------

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo