Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

10. Re: Steam Greenlight Adds 10 Games Jan 15, 2013, 19:30 Dev

walrus1 wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 18:44:
Is it just me or does it seem that most of the greenlighted games are very far away from ever being done. That's if they ever get done. It also seems that some of the games that are done haven't been posted yet.
m00t wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 16:22:
Is it me or are like 1/3 of the greenlit games obvious jokes/trolls or terrible games that are promoted by the likes of 4chan and reddit because they're so hilariously bad and the joke is getting so many people to play it? Seems like the opposite of what you'd want, imho.

That would be because of the votes. Valve employees got tired of doing the uninteresting and boring work of sorting through the drek in steam applications. They even said about as much in the announcements about greenlight as being why they wanted to have the community do it.

So, if reddit and 4chan can get together enough votes to vote crap up... guess what? Valve will likely approve it.

Similarly, if an unreleased game is getting lots of hype in its 15 mins of fame this week and that gets votes... guess what? Valve will likely approve it.

And who knows, maybe that hype will translate into sales. Social networks are a huge reason why minecraft succeeded.
Valve is certainly willing to experiment and find out, as long as they can wheel their desks away from the approval station.

But hey, at least some good stuff is getting through. Stuff that might not otherwise get approved (or previously was arbitrarily denied by valve).

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo