Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

36. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 14, 2013, 10:12 Wowbagger_TIP

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 08:21:
I call what they're proposing knee jerk because it won't help at all and they're using these victims as a platform to justify more control for the sake of it.
Right, and I tried to give examples of a couple of non-knee-jerky things that could be done to improve the situation. The biggest elephant in the room is still the rather appalling state of mental health care in this country. Until we start doing something about that, instead of just dispensing pills to anyone with insurance, anything else we try is just a band-aid at best. Unfortunately, that hasn't been a priority for either party, but the Republicans are generally much more opposed to broadening access to health care. Time for them to face up to it.

Regardless of its flaws, Obamacare is better than what we've had up until now, and certainly better than the huge nothing that Republicans did over the 10 years or so that they were in control. As far as I'm concerned, they had their chance to do something constructive and passed on it, so they can quit whining now and start cooperating and working to improve it. Particularly focusing on improving mental health care. Then maybe we could start getting somewhere.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo