Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

27. Re: Python hunt Jan 14, 2013, 09:21 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 06:47:
Actually, Rigs, I was wondering if you were going to the python hunt.

Wow, I read that one wrong, eh? My bad...no, I hate FL as it is so I don't need to do anything that's going to 'endear' me more to this god-forsaken land...especially man-eating reptiles and lord knows what else lives down that way...

I actually went through the Everglades once, part of a 'round-trip road-trip'(c) to help a friend run a van from Jacksonville to Ft. Lauderdale and then over to Ft. Meyers and back up here...NEVER AGAIN! After dropping the van off, five of us crammed into my fiance`'s poor '89 Mercury Topaz (my friend, at the time, weighed in excess of 300 pounds) and ran the I-75 line across the 'Glades, which is desolate. We got about three-quarters through and hit an afternoon storm that dropped visibility to nearly nothing and a few feet. I slowed down to a crawl but there was no where to pull over or stop and only turn-arounds every so often (like a long causeway or bridge, really...and now that I check Google maps, I see it's totally changed since I was there, figures). Keep in mind it was the dead of summer, about 90 degrees and 100% humidity, NO A/C (of course) and we were all tired and cranky. The rain let up a little bit after some time and, I shit you not, someone said, 'well, at least we didn't blow a tire or something' and about thirty seconds later we heard a loud screech and then the alternator belt snapped off, with a loud thud as pieces hit the underside of the hood! (for about two years until we finally replaced it, again, we ended up going through about 200 alternator belts because the first replacement to the original was mounted wrong and it took us that long for someone who knew what the fuck they were doing to fix it (I'm not mechanically inclined)) When the battery light popped on, I knew what it was so I just kept going and we finally made it to the other side.

Now that I think about it, I feel bad for that poor car. We put that thing through hell and while it broke a lot, as most cars would, it still didn't break catastrophically. (My ex did break it permanently after our split and it now sits in a field somewhere to live out it's days in peace) The worst things were what happened above and loosing the whole exhaust, muffler and all, while we were going through Jacksonville on our way from NJ to home in 2001, at the intersection of I-10 and I-95. In the middle of four lanes of traffic, doing about 60mph and all of a sudden, *Babam!*, and I looked in the rear-view mirror to watch the cars behind us part like the Red Sea as the muffler and pipe went skittering along the road. I never even let off the gas, just kept going...

=-Rigs-=

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo