Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

58. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2013, 14:22 Creston

Orphic Resonance wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 05:40:
there are much much cleaner methods to generate energy, less dangerous to people and the environment and much much cheaper to produce... but these kinds of methods dont make enough money for the big corps who already have billions invested in older technology infrastructure, as it would be another huge investment with much less return - not to mention the other markets of machinery and devices that are powered by fuel from these older technologies

so you can be damn sure that any sort of big changes wont be happening... at least, not until millions of people die in some sort of catastrophe - then there might be a massively concerted effort

not until then

I don't really know that there are that many "cheaper" ways to produce energy. Cheaper than fracking? I seriously doubt it. There's a reason so many energy companies, big and small, are seriously investing in it right now.

Cleaner? Of course. If we invested into it, we could run 99.9% of the entire US on green power in 20-30 years. But saying that is one thing. Actually producing the money to do so is something else entirely. And while we can say "Well, the energy companies should just pay for it!" you already hit the nail on the head when you say that the big corps don't see any profit in that versus using their current infrastructure.

We could convert every single car in the US to run on natural gas, and we have enough reserves to make them run for the next 200 years. But who is going to pay to replace the entire petrol infrastructure with NG infrastructure? Why would Big Oil be interested in that, even IF they could make more profits with a NG infrastructure? Because that trillion dollar investment does need to be made. And that does come out of their profits at the end of the picture. And if profits of staying on oil > profits of investing in NG, then they're staying on oil.

I don't know that even a catastrophe would really change anything. The Gulf really didn't do shit except cause some extra regulations to appear (and pretty toothless ones for that matter), and I'm not really sure how much bigger it needs to get beyond the death of an entire biodiversity.

I looked at the stuff that I still have available here, and there are no links to online documents that are still valid, unfortunately. Most of these were multiple years old, and a lot of the governmental agencies have been revamping their websites so all the old links are broken.

Here, however, are some more recent articles basically repeating what I said:

(sadly, the only online link I could find for this article was a repost on Salon, but it's basically by the associated press)

Fracking critics use bad science

This article especially shows the rhetoric of gasland's director. "BREAST CANCER IN BARNETT SHALE IN TEXAS INCREASES BECAUSE OF FRACKING!"

And even the Susan G Komen foundation in Texas says "Errr... no?"

It also repeats that local authorities are monitoring for the supposed contamination of ground water, and are simply not seeing it after energy companies changed the ways they deal with slurry.

EPA says water is safe. Residents say it's not.

That's the kind of argument that both sides can simply take, and then you just conform it to your own bias as to what to believe.

There seem to be several more articles reposted on Salon from that author that deal with Fracking. I'll read through them sometime this weekend.

Anyway, I've argued enough about this for today. Time to play some games.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jan 11, 2013, 14:31.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo