Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

33. Re: Op Ed Jan 11, 2013, 13:28 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 12:31:
Meanwhile, back in reality...I'm a firm believer that guns aren't the problem. I do not believe anyone has a right to bear guns anymore than they have a right to drive - it's a privilege. If your argument is hunting then learn how to bow hunt. And people like RT are living proof there are far too many kooks and wackos out there with guns. How thorough is a background check when the feds are running 14,000 of them per day? I think psych tests should be mandatory to weed out potential psychopaths. Fines and punishment related to firearms misuse should be extremely stiff. In possession of or used in a crime should be an automatic 10 years for a first offense. Create a strong enough deterrent and then only the most hardcore outlaws will risk it.

I agree that it should be treated as a privilege, not as a right, but it's hard to try to get that rammed across all 50 states, plus of course it won't do anything about the current glut of weapons already in circulation.

If some wackass gets rejected by Walmart to buy an assault rifle, he'll just buy one from his neighbor.

And unfortunately, deterrents won't help prevent this kind of tragedy, because so far every single nutbag has wound up killing himself. (Afaik.) You can threaten people with a million years in jail plus hardcore gangrape every day, but it won't really matter to them if they just kill themselves at the end of their shooting spree.

Creston

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo