Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

7. Re: NPD 2012 Results Jan 11, 2013, 13:21 ASeven

Beamer wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 12:27:
How would PC development would help?

Steam billions of dollars should be all the answer you need about this. PC games can and often do make the difference in publisher's fiscal quarters.

Do you think the problem is the platform and not the content?

Where did I said that? However the fact is there's more mainstream stuff coming out for consoles and mainstream stuff on the PC is slowly getting eclipsed by indies and sales for mainstream games in all platforms is declining fast due to poor quality, terrible customer treatment from the publishers, increasing retail prices of games.

Do you think that PCs capable of running games as well as consoles outnumber consoles?

Yes. 7 years old hardware on consoles. If you asked this a couple years ago my answer would be no but now with integrated graphics becoming more power and PC technology evolving while console hardware remaining static I can safely say there's as many PCs capable of running console games as consoles. If they are being used to game, however, is a different matter.

Why do you think the PC would be a draw when even Valve seems to be trying to make the PC more console-like?

Again, Valve billions answers that question. The PC is a draw, period. It's not the same draw as a console but is a draw that attracts enough people that developing games in it can be very, very, very profitable.

Do you look at crashing PC sales, going down much faster than console sales, and think that's something other than an issue with the platform yet look at console declines and put the blame squarely on them?

PCs are open, built by dozens of manufacturers and come in all shapes and sizes and prices. Consoles come in 1 size, 1 price. Go throw a strawman somewhere else.

I'll never understand how so many people think PC gaming is what the masses want. It isn't. It's what we want, but we're people that wrote bat files to get things to work. We're a different breed. We're not normal.

Again, Valve billions. If PC was as unpopular as you wish it was Valve would be a very poor company by now. Fact is, there's more than enough PC gamers out there to make a difference in publisher's fiscal numbers, and they often do. Just because some people say PC gamers are a small or irrelevant group doesn't make it so no matter how many times they repeat that.

And yes, mainstream crash is coming and now even Gamasutra keep reporting that something bad is coming fast, all the signs are now as clear as ever. WiiU underselling below the lowest expectations? Yeah nice sign of a healthy industry, not. And publishers only have themselves to blame for what is coming, fast.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo