Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

77. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 11, 2013, 00:26 Jerykk

Indeed. Mass Effect 2 felt like a new game, despite the similarities of the engine. The graphics were improved, the gameplay was improved, the narrative was much better delivered, etc. I haven't played ME3 as it wasn't released on Steam, but it looks like an improvement again. It was the same with STALKER: Clear Sky, which (despite its faults) introduced improved graphics, new gameplay mechanics and a more focused narrative - unfortunately CoP took a backwards step with graphics, with a massive gameworld that didn't really have any personality.

ME2 was essentially ME1 with a simplified skill tree and loot system and improved combat. If that's enough to qualify as a sequel, then FNV certainly qualifies as one too.

Significant additions/improvements in FNV over FO3:
- Faction system
- Hardcore mode with needs system
- Significantly expanded crafting system
- New skills
- Traits system
- Overhauled perks system with new perks
- New enemies and factions
- Tons of new weapons, armor and items
- Vastly superior writing
- Iron sights
- Much more developed companions with their own unique questlines and bonus perks
- Open-ended quests with branching paths and equally viable combat, diplomacy and stealth solutions.
- New damage threshold system for armor.

No, it boils down to enjoyability. I liked TW2 for the narrative and for the environments, which had a very distinctive feel, much more than the combat. It's the same with Oblivion and Skyrim - they have very compelling gameworlds and strong writing, even if the RPG elements were very light. I'm sure they would have been even better if you could meaningfully influence the gameworld but they were compelling games that I enjoyed playing. NV just didn't have that. The engine was clunky, the gameplay tedious (after having completed F3), the game world wasn't interesting (to me it wasn't as compelling as F3) and I just didn't enjoy it - the entire game was hugely dated in comparison to what the rest of the industry was doing.

Very strange. Firstly, how did Oblivion or Skyrim have strong writing? The quests, characters and dialogue were utterly forgettable in both games. The books were mostly well-written but that's about it. You stress the importance of strong writing and compelling, immersive gameworlds, but FNV was superior in both regards compared to FO3 or any Bethesda RPG. How far did you actually get in FNV? Did you meet any companions? Did you make it to New Vegas? From what you've said, it sounds like you didn't make it past the starting town.

FNV's gameplay is clunky and the presentation is very much outdated but if strong writing and compelling gameworlds (a result of strong writing) are your top priorities, you really should give it another try.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo