Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 14:37 |RaptoR|

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 13:54:
Mhh, I did not know that. I expected when Obama got all this coverage for his Obamacare.. the comments meant something like Healthcare Insurance we have here in Germany. Or is it really the case that Germany got the best healthcare system in the world? I mean the system here is pretty.. well, expensive (in a sense, you can call it a sort of income tax) but nobody here is ever financially ruined because he fell ill. Though it will definitely be a financially drain on you if you end up requiring 10 different prescriptions that are non-standard (ie, not under coverage) and you end up requiring the social security payments (they are relatively low).

Mhh, this makes me realize that you Americans must have misunderstand my rant then. To me, going to work with flu is a CHOICE you have to MAKE. It is not something you *have* to do or that someone can force you to do. But if you are not insured for the lost income then... wow that is retarded. How come there is no rebellion yet?

I still hate all humans hehe, but at lest I can understand why you go to work with flu now.

For your understanding, if you have a real flu (not a cold, an actual proper flu) any doctor in Germany will give you a week off from work. This is also why Germany tends not to have large epidemics... at some point people get worried and go to a doctor who blanket takes them off work. But if you are signed out by a doctor you should really take that serious, and not make a vacation, throw parties or dance naked on your balcony, you can get fired for that ;p

By the way, there are some rules to that insurance obviously.. but I am not entirely sure what they are.. I never was sick for longer than a week. Only once, but that was before my working (or freelancing) days... ^^

This makes me so jealous of the rest of the world

Definitely not the case here in the US. We are given a set number of sick days a year... at GE, it was 14. Because that number is so low, most people don't take off for "trivial" illnesses like the flu because it leaves them exposed if they run into something a little more serious.

Some companies don't give any sick days at all (Charter Communications) and instead you are forced to take your vacation time (which is VERY limited, Charter only gives 7 days a year).

If you're out longer than that (say you need an invasive surgery), you'll go on short term disability and you get a fraction of your actual pay. For most who make only a little more than the cost of living, this is not a viable option.

Obamacare solves a lot of things as far as getting insurance for people, but it doesn't fundamentally change the way medical care is given in the states. Qualifying for insurance in the states means you have to be 100% healthy or you'll get extorted, and a lot of pre-existing conditions are excluded anyway.

The vast majority of health insurance in the states is provided by your employer. It's not financially reasonable to obtain insurance without the group discounts an employer provides. So if you are laid off or go without work for 2-3 months, your insurance lapses. For someone that has a condition like diabetes or high blood pressure, getting insurance becomes an incredible nightmare. You will be denied for pre-existing conditions OR your illness won't be covered, and that's just downright criminal. Obamacare effectively forces insurance companies into covering patients with pre-existing conditions.

We may have some of the best surgeons and doctors in the world, but the cost is insanity. Early on in my career, I had a kidney stone surgery that cost me $12,000 for a half-day stay in the hospital and lithotripsy treatment. That is WITH INSURANCE. It's a nightmare and being unfortunate enough to have an illness or be in an accident, you're looking at potential financial ruin.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo