Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 13:40 Creston

PropheT wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 13:22:
Independent companies like "The Independent Petroleum Association", which represents gas companies?

No, I mean like actual independent research done by legislative/governmental groups from the areas affected.

Steven Chu (Secretary of Energy in the U.S.) had a task force assigned to research fracking and their conclusion was that it posed a serious risk and ecological hazard. Even safer usage of fracking was in question because of the higher cost and lack of oversight for companies who would be doing it, meaning they would use less safe methods to make more money from the process. Duke University, an actual independent group, released a paper that documented serious methane contamination in drinking water in gas-drilling areas for example.

And at the same time we have research done by the people in the affected areas that says that methane contamination isn't caused by the fracking, and that there is no danger to ground water sources. So.... one side or the other is wrong. Obviously we need a lot more research, as fracking is still very new technology, and it can likely still be improved more. But all this fucking panic mongering by illiterate retards who scream that your dog will lose all its hair if they have a fracking site within 30 miles of your home, and that fracking "just like, fucking KILLS people, man!" isn't really fucking helping.

Basically, there aren't enough regulations on the process at the moment to ensure that fracking companies are using safe methods and it's not even clear if there are enough widespread studies as to the overall impact since drainage and water flow are different in every area in which it would be applied. There's also a serious question as to waste disposal.

Which I have no issue with. Like I said, it isn't 100% clean, since nothing is, and there is a concern regarding the slurry (aka the water used to wash the fracks clean with) and where it winds up. The companies try to capture all of it for disposal, but I'm not really sure how they would track whether they captured all of it. They've already made big improvements to the process since they first began using it.

And sure, there will undoubtedly be companies who will ignore all safety measures and regulations, in order to make more money. They currently already do that on pretty much every energy source we use. So the answer is then to just stop using those energy sources as well?

It's not so eco-hippie when they want to do it in your back yard, like what's popped up not far from here recently where they have plans to start fracking in a large watershed area surrounded by farmland.

I have 50+ iron horses in my "backyard" (within a mile or so of my home), and several rusted out oil containers that are fed by them. So far, my dog still has all its hair.

If they wanted to frack in my backyard, after they pay me the royalty fees, they'd be more than welcome to.

Again, like I said, it can undoubtedly be improved, and it'll never be 100% clean. But it IS the most abundantly available energy source in the US, and in its usage at least, by far the cleanest. So we can either start using it, or we can continue to keep using coal and oil. Or we can shift to 90% green by 2030, and start paying 5 times as much for our energy bill. (though that would eventually come down again, apparently once the availability of green energy goes up.)

Those are the choices. Take your pick. I can guarantee that the anti-fracking people will be the first ones to whine if coal and oil usage goes up, or if their energy bill goes up.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 2013, 13:50.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo