Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

6. Re: Oculus Rift Impressions Jan 10, 2013, 12:29 eRe4s3r

Well these don't even have head-tracking, so I am surprised you even survive 10 minutes ,p I can't enjoy fake 3D vision at all, I get nearly instant headaches. But sim sickness is not funny at all, imagine not feeling so good, except it involves throwing up and not being able to walk straight. This effect is like being hit by a train. It is drastic, and you can believe me it is not something you will ever want to experience more than once... I tested one of these formula car simulators at an EXPO and learned my lesson there (they warned me though ,p).

Until I see someone who knows what he's talking about actually testing these goggles on real games (especially driving games) I won't buy into the hype. Sim sickness is real and well known problem of heads-up displays , and there is no way Oculus Rift solved a problem the most advanced research labs on the planet haven't solved (yet). As the valve developer wrote, it is a purely tech problem related to input/output delays. It's worse when the view is moved by an external element but you are not (ie, a car driving in a sim). That's also where the name comes from... the most famous dude who has severe sim sickness is Michael Schumacher.. he could never use the simulator his team used, likely because he was such a good driver, the slightest mismatch of simulated physics vs what he saw vs what he expected to feel and he got sick.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo