Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2013, 15:22 Creston

Blue wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:45:
Creston wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:13:
It's always wise to teach your dog a "let go" command. Practice it with toys, etc, and then when they do well with those, even occasionally practice it with food or a treat. Then when something like this happens, you can just order them to "let go" and they should drop whatever little mutt they happen to be chewing on.

Keep in mind that Hudson is a terrier, and terriers are bred for a certain degree of independent thinking, in particular when it comes to disposing of vermin. I'm sure it's possible: She's good at listening when told to drop inanimate objects, but I am not nearly enough of a dog whisperer to trust being able to command her to drop prey.

Yeah, I realize it's tough if not almost impossible to go against her instinct. I can't get my Blue Heeler to stop trying to herd me when I walk her, no matter what I try. That's just what she is.

If nothing else, such a command would help when you're putting pressure on her mouth to open up.

As for the back legs thing, that seems pretty scary to me when they have something in their mouths that you absolutely do NOT want them to bite. If anything, to me a dog would bite down just out of fright (as they really don't like it when you mess with their rear legs.)

Even so, it's still better than kicking. Making the dog more aggressive doesn't exactly help.

Creston

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo