Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

26. Re: More on Steam Hardware Jan 9, 2013, 13:52 Verno

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 13:33:
Multiple skus, Linux os, somehow I just don't see the console crowd running out and embracing what's essentially a porting of steam over to a mini PC. I get what they want to do out of this, I just don't see the overall point of it.

*bangs head against wall*

They are not selling a console, it's a PC. Valve will eventually release their own brand of pre-built gaming HTPCs, essentially. It will come with Linux because they hate Windows now, but like any PC it will be open for you to do whatever you want with it. It's a not a console vs console situation where the audience and metrics are largely the same.

People saying that they can't charge too much because it wont be able to compete with consoles, or that they have to keep it closed because they don't want to scare away developers, are looking at this from the completely wrong direction. They're building and selling a PC. This isn't intended for RollingThundr to run out and replace his gaming desktop. It's for the people who might not otherwise do it or need multiple PCs in a household. A lot of people will not build a custom PC and prebuilt desktop PCs don't bridge the same gaps a product like this will.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2013, 14:01.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo