Im not going to go into why the whole argument "but D2 was CRAP until 1.10" is beside the point. This is the lamest excuse ever. This excuse might fly if Diablo3 was developed by a company OHTER than Blizzard. This is Blizzard we are talking about here, a company that was supposed to care about its IPs.
Let me just put it this way. Diablo3 isnt an improvement over Diablo2:LOD 1.10. (Or even the Vanilla Diablo2 IMO) In fact it has taken a step back in almost every single regard.
Im going to list just a few points although there are far more:
1. Battle.net 2.0 SUCKS MAJOR BALLS: (Im sure most will agree with me on this) Compared to the oldschool bnet from Diablo2 its a HUGE step back, and one of the worst offenders of all.
2. Game hosting/joining (look under1) Once again we are stuck with a retarded matchmaker that makes no sense, we cant make private games, we cant join public ones, we cant name games, we cant progress through the entire game etc. etc. the list just goes on with the fuckups that can be piled on here.
3. Itemization: An overabundance of mediocre gear with extremely rare good gear at inferno levels. This is something that is integral to any ARPG and they totally failed. Even with the extra yellows that drop all over the place now, you cant really get even any 'decent' items unless you pack MF. Once again way to screw the pooch. D2 at least had mid level decent 'uniques' that although far from the best gear would allow for decent builds which could plow through content at the HELL dificulty.
4. Progression. Oh boy where to begin. There is none past lvl 60. As the game actively really only begins AT lvl 60 this is a serious major fail. And no PARAGON levels dont count, they can stick their paragon levels up their collective ass. Im talking about skill progression that allowed characters to become more powerful as they leveled REGARDLESS (Important!!) of the gear they may or may not have acquired. NOTE: D2 had this right from the start.
5. Monster population. D3 is a wasteland compared to the demon infested hordes of D2. Killing stuff is fun. Running through semi deserted levels is NOT.
6. Act size/variance/randomization. Ok lets compare ActIV Hell in D2 to ActIV Heaven in D3....no lets not. Because if we do we will all end up in hysterical fits wondering how the fuck this game spent 10 years in development.
I could go on, but really is there a point? D3 is simply inferior to D2 in every way and for a game that sold so many units on HYPE alone that is unacceptable.
I already gave my money to Blizzard for D3. Im not going to give them any more of my time.