Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

19. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 8, 2013, 13:43 HorrorScope

Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 12:10:
How much longer until your cellphone is more powerful than an xbox?

PCs are NOT selling very well. Sales are crumbling. Dell and HP are reeling. It's brutal, and making things worse they're trying to get back to higher priced PCs (laptops mostly) and no one is biting.

It's just denying the inevitable if you think that desktop PCs will still be a thing much longer into the future. Dell sells 2 desktop PCs to home users. 2! They occupy 1 page in Best Buy's circular, compared to 5+ for laptops. Internet traffic is increasingly coming from mobile/tablet devices.

I keep saying it, but I'll repeat: we're moving to a world were we have limited devices and instead of different form factors that device communicates with. Mice, controllers, keyboards and displays all connect to your mobile device. It keeps everything. Hell, we're probably moving to them mostly being dummy with most computation being cloud based.

Does this mean the fringe will abandon dedicated machines? No. People on this board will build their devices as long as that's possible. But this isn't the mainstream. We're not who companies put billions of R&D dollars to pleasing.

Your first question. How much longer cellphone/xbox? Really probably years off, but at that time the new Xbox will be out, new pc's will be out. So again the best will be there, are you ready for 3rd best?

Sales aren't crumbling, they are down <10%, it's everything WS worries about, but numbers are still very strong.

Inevitable is an infinite word, so yes inevitably I can agree with that. But it could be a long time before people will decide "all the power I ever need is on my phone/pad". Grandma and mom may have already decided that today even, but Blue News gamers have not and I'll bet dollars to donuts, we'll what that extra power that devs will need and use that will make the experience that wee bit better. That is what we've been doing all along, why change now?

We are easily 10 years away from all the power we ever need, probably more like 50.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo