Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 21:21 Verno

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 21:14:
So how exactly does Ben know how much money Microsoft and Sony has lost on their consoles? Does he have access to financial records that the rest of us don't have access to?

I'm not sure why people are so surprised, this has been known for a long time. Their financial statements are publicly accessible dude, you can google them and check it out. Corporations often don't include a lot of detail but they are required to disclose the basics and Microsoft does a divisional breakdown of revenues and expenses. There's some other products tied into the entertainment division but I forget the specifics.

There's been a fair amount of internal friction at Microsoft over their non-business initiatives since they've been losing so much money. The Xbox 360 only started making a profit a year ago IIRC. They spent billions trying to get into the living room and I'm not sure it's done a lot of good for their core revenue earners. What's worse is that they are still facing the same two competitors with large market share.

In Sony's case I think their Playstation stuff has been profitable for a few years now but they classify it with the TV division or something silly, I can't remember maybe someone else can clarify. Anyways, Sony's non-videogame stuff is whats hurting them right now, their core TV/etc businesses are stagnant. The Playstation is a big part of keeping them afloat.

Something tells me they have gained that back in licensing fees, etc.

Already included on their financials.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2013, 21:28.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo