Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

17. Re: NVIDIA's Cloud Gaming Jan 7, 2013, 13:57 jdreyer

ItBurn wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 11:16:
I haven't tried onLive or other cloud gaming solutions, but I can't see ANY input lag as being acceptable... The other huge problem is that the internet sucks in Canada. It's too slow and we have very tight/low download limits. There's no way I can stream all the time, it would cost me a fortune. I don't see any of this changing in a long time.

Apparently, lag is less of an issue than artifacting. I remember reading an article a year ago, and I recall that UT3 was laggy but playable but you'd struggle in multiplayer vs. players who hosted the game natively. But apparently RPGs and strategy titles played much better. I couldn't find that article, but here's a PC Gamer article that reviews OnLive.

...unlike other streaming services, like Spotify or iPlayer, I donít think OnLive quite hits the right balance of loss of quality against convenience. What theyíve achieved is remarkable, but itís hard to recommend paying for it, at least on the PC, just yet. The video isnít just highly compressed and full of artefacts, itís low-res in the first place too. That means details are lost and even a 2D shoot-íem-up looks fuzzy. I canít imagine playing LA Noire or a point-and-click adventure that relies on being able to see small objects to solve puzzles over OnLive.

And thatís when itís working well. Nothing breaks a gameís sense of immersion more than tearing video, vocoder-like sound errors and a flashing ďNetwork quality too lowĒ button at the top of the screen. Which does happen.

From a technical point of view, it uses over 2GB an hour bandwidth too: thatís bad news for anyone on a capped service or whose fair use policy will throttle their connection for Ďheavy useí. BT currently excludes OnLive traffic from its cap, but itís not worth switching ISP for.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo