Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

17. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2013, 22:37 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 21:30:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 21:02:
I like Tycho's bit on this from a few years ago:

"If a hundred artists create art for five years, how could the result not be art?"

Because it's work, not art. It all depends on the intent. Just because a guy uses a paintbrush instead of a hammer to make a living does not an artist make.

So it can only be art if the guy making it remains a hippie shithead who lives in an attic with half-finished paintings everywhere, smokes dope, and bitches often at society keeping him down? An artist isn't allowed to get a job in which he does what he was doing back when it was called art (and still have it called art?)

I find that a dubious distinction. If I took a scene from Bastion and put it on a canvas and hung it in a museum, plenty of people would consider it to be beautiful art. But because it's in a game, it's not art?

Obviously we can quibble endlessly over what really constitutes art, but I think some of the graphics work in games is well deserving of the term art. For that matter, so is some of the sound work. We call John Williams' work art, but Jeremy Soule's work isn't?

Creston

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo