Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

13. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage Jan 3, 2013, 09:04 sauron

Jonjonz wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 07:31:
Unfortunately the alternative to stand and push buttons, is pushing more buttons faster. You ought to listen to just the key board sounds of someone playing the latest anti-stand and fight effort GW2. It's constant tap-tap-tappity tap in an orgy of twitchdom. Congratulations you just turned a MMORPG into a console MORTAL KOMBAT simulator with MMORPG pretentions.

I disagree strongly. I play GW2 and before that I played FFXI and LOTRO. I greatly prefer the GW2 system - much more fun - you have to pay attention to the environment around you to a greater degree. It does mean some tappy-tappy of the keyboard, but much less so than in a FPS.

Regarding things like floating damage numbers, in FFXI you could certainly turn them off. Community mods allowed the UI to be altered substantially and eventually the developer incorporated most of those ideas into the game.

My issues with FFXIV aren't that it has a busy UI, but that the base gameplay mechanics are really, really dated. If you're going to play it, you might as well be playing FFXI with a bunch of graphic mods, or even Everquest. The presentation looks flashy and the FF universe is very deep, but the substance of FFXIV is lacking in novelty and imagination - it's really just an updated version of FFXI which at this point is over a decade old.

Kittens!

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo