Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

7. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 2, 2013, 21:44 Jivaro

Stupid waste of time and an exercise in futility, that is what a "violent video game buyback program" truly is. Are people truly so desperate for a quick, black/white answer to complicated issues like gun culture and mental health (among others) that they grasp at straws that are so clearly too short to serve any purpose that will generate results? It is truly maddening. Every generation endures the older generations blaming something for the world's woes, rock'n'roll being the cliche example of late, and yet it seems like those generations grow up to do exactly the same thing.

I am no expert on gun culture, mental health issues, or any of the other millions of topics that play a part in these mass shooting tragedies, but I am smart and educated enough to know that with serial killers, serial rapists, and many pedophiles there is a trigger that is unique to the perpetrator and his/her particular issues. Why would it be different for these people who commit these mass shootings? For example a serial killer might be a sexual sadist that accidentally kills someone and then decides that killing someone is the only way they can be satisfied. A serial rapist might have someone in their lives that rejected them, an athletic blonde, and then they start raping athletic blondes. In either example it wasn't a video game, a movie, a book, a song, or anything else that twisted these people. Their own minds are what is twisted. They didn't get that way overnight, it happened over time, and usually there are multiple people that have seen disturbing things but refused to connect the dots. Maybe that serial killer was killing pets as a kid and his parents hid it from people in shame. Maybe he hit his ex-girlfriends but was never charged with a crime because they found it easier to run away then to confront him again. Maybe that rapist stalked different women when he was young but when people complained his parents just moved. It just seems to me that when I read a book or watch a documentary about some "infamous" criminal, there is always a bunch of people that when they are gathered together and asked a bunch of questions...that random and senseless act doesn't seem so random anymore. As I said I am not an expert but it seems very hard to believe that these shooters are any different, and as time passes and people who are experts are allowed to study and review each situation a very real and scientific way of not just predicting but understanding this behavior will come about.

In the meantime the gun industry will make senseless suggestions to try to reduce damage to profit margins, politicians looking for votes will find a video game or movie to blame, and parents will be left trying to make decisions about what they will let their kids see and do based on recommendations and assertions from people who have everything but their kids as a priority.

If that thought doesn't make one violently aggressive, I don't know what will.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2013, 21:51.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo