Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

10. Re: Remedy Teases 2013 Plans Jan 2, 2013, 14:12 ItBurn

I completed Max Payne 3 a couple of days ago and I've been meaning on venting somewhere... It was Ok. 7/10 maybe. It could have been a solid 8 or 8.5 if the controls weren't as bad or if a bunch of design decisions would be changed. It pissed me off to a point where I almost stopped playing completely...

- It's sometimes very hard to know when a cinematic ends and when you can start controlling your character. It got me killed for no reason a couple of times. I try to shoot the enemies, nothing happen, so I wait for the game to unlock the controls, and BAM, I'm dead...

- The cinematics sometimes change your weapons for no reason. You had an mp5? Well you lost it. Why? No reason. Sometimes there's a good reason like, you left it in a chopper or you couldn't pick it back up in time. Most of the time, no. The thing is, nothing tells you this will happen and you're suddently pushed in a situation where you're making a mistake for no reason. It's not like, "solve this problem with these different tools", it's "we're not telling you we changed your tools, now find out we did and we'll laugh at your mistake"...

- Sometimes, the cinematics will let you keep your weapons, but they'll change which one you're using, for no reason, without prior visual queues. Cinematic ends, you're now using a pistol with 0 bullets, get killed instantly.

- When you're too close to walls, Max will point his guns in the air. When you shoot, you shoot in the air. This is retarded. It's very hard to tell when you're too close to a wall and will make you scream at the game for not shooting your enemies.

- The controls are convoluted and strange. There's several buttons that could be put into one. There's like 4 different ways of jumping that could just be context sensitive and it would work. Sometimes, max will refuse to shoot-dodge. It's probably a major bug. Shoot-dodge is infinitely more useful than regular slow-mo, which shouldn't even be an option seeing as it's completely useless.

- In the PC version, all weapons are useless, except for the regular pistol, the mp5 and the uzi. The enemies aim so well that you need to instant-headshot them or else you die very fast. The only weapons accurate enough are these 3. There's NO WAY the enemy aim is that accurate on consoles. The added difficulty is nice, but the game's console balancing of weapons makes it so most of them are useless.

I could go on. So, overall, lots of very bad decisions.

Other than that, the story is fine. The locations too. The action is solid when it works. It lacks a bit of variety action-wise though. It's constantly the same enemies and you constantly headshot them and they fall in an almost boring way. It lacks the combat variety of the original games.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo