Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

17. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2012, 23:21 Kitkoan

MisterBenn wrote on Dec 29, 2012, 22:21:
We have a rating system now, the Windows Experience Index

Sorry, but that rating system is garbage. It was a neat idea, but its garbage.

According to it, my laptop is rated 5.1 when I first got it (I think, I'm on Linux now so can't check). So, I had 6 gigs of RAM, and I decided to upgrade it to 14 gigs of RAM. With this speed boost, my laptop has the blazing score of... 5.1 No change and this is what kills it. It keeps telling me my laptops score is 5.1 because of my HDD isn't the fastest R/W speeds (compared to a SSD). This doesn't really hold much difference on games though.

What would really help make an improvement is a standard software checker that each digital store can freely use (since almost all software is now bought digitally). What it could do is check all of your hardware and use it as a filter to filter out all games that wouldn't run on your computer at an acceptable level (and stop using this "bare minimum" BS that means if you turn off/minimum setting of EVERY thing in game it might run at 20FPS... might...) Kinda like how the Android market works, if your specs shouldn't be able to run it, then it doesn't show up for sale. (Yes, I know that it isn't always the simple, some people are just greedy and will lower their requirements for a quick buck).

And of course, have an option to show games that your system can't run so you can look and what not, see what specs you might upgrade, giftable objects, etc... but with a warning in like red on the game screen that you can't run this game (like Steam does with games you already own).

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo