Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

15. The Hobbit Dec 26, 2012, 21:34 jdreyer

The movie was good but not great. I really liked the intro where Thorin's back story is told. HFR is pretty cool, yes it looks like super hidef video, but 24FPS always annoys the crap out of me with its jerky motion in panning and action shots. So I kind of liked that. The 3D was glorious, as was the CG. Gollum's CG was especially impressive, as was the goblin king. And the dinner scene was perhaps a bit too long, but still quite enjoyable. And the music was great of course, both songs and score.

The movie isn't without issues. I didn't think that the white orc worked. It just felt stuffed in and superfluous. And the way the goblin king died just seemed too easy and unearned. Nor did I like his perfect Shakespearean English accent. That should have been different. And the way the dwarves "lost" the troll battle was just stupid. I didn't like the changes to that except where Gandalf splits the boulder to freeze the trolls. That was cool. But the action in the goblin city was a bit too cartoonish. Similar scenes in Fellowship have weight and peril, whereas in The Hobbit things flip around in such perfect harmony as to defy belief.

Still it was a fun romp, but I fear Jackson is coming down with Lucas Disease: he's become so powerful, that no one dares tell him no, and bombastic and unnecessary scenes that would have been cut or rewritten are making it into his movies. Jackson is capable of making good (Kong) and great (LotR) movies as part of a larger team, but when he has more power, he can make terrible movies (see Lovely Bones).

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo