Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

22. Re: Op Ed Dec 26, 2012, 19:09 Draugr

Kobalt wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 16:42:
Draugr wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 14:50:
For example, in fantasy settings racism or xenophobia is an often explored subject. I would say DA2, had it not been a total clusterfuck, would have fallen into this Category. Skyrim goes into this as well. Obviously we'd be foolish to leave out the Witcher 2. I think the first bioshock should also be on this list, though I would certainly put any themes it has into the 'clumsy' category.

Racism is probably one of the worst things done in video games. Sure you might have the odd fantasy game have something about racism is bad it is 100% nullified by the fact that..in these game there are races that are bad stereotypes. Blood thirsty savages that can never be smart as the hero. A cowardly gold hoarding race. Sound familiar to anyone? They are in most fantasy games. Perfectly ok in the video game world.

Well yes, it's not always explored in a meaningful way, or at all. But some try and succeed. Video games still suffer from bad writing as a general rule.
I agree, I *think* it's fair to say that some of the traditional fantasy tropes may have been influenced by racism. Though obviously there are those that would disagree just as there are those that would disagree with the current subject of discussion even being a real issue.

I for one think racism as a theme in the Witcher is handled very well, but as I said it's more the exception.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo