Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

23. Re: Christmas Metaverse Dec 26, 2012, 09:43 Shineyguy

Jerykk wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 03:08:
Frags4Fun wrote on Dec 25, 2012, 14:35:
Creston wrote on Dec 25, 2012, 14:28:
Frags4Fun wrote on Dec 25, 2012, 14:19:
If anyone has any info, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Odds are that he's in an area in which few people have TWC, so few people access the area's backbone, and you are in an area in which everyone has it.

Cable internet is shared internet. The more people that use it, the slower it gets. That said, if it's so congested that your 15Mbps never gets above 1.7 Mbps, TWC really should put more capacity in place. Complain to the better business bureau, and see if that'll help.

Creston

Thanks Creston.

I'm going to call them soon to complain. I'm just gathering information at the moment so that I have the right responses for their excuses. I suspect that they will point me to the speed test websites and then tell me everything is fine when it hits 25 Mbps or they may say it's the websites upload speed that is limiting me to 1.7 Mbps when downloading. I can't understand why all the speed tests give me such high numbers when even torrents are maxed out at 1.5 - 1.7 Mbps.

I've even gone so far as to plug directly into the modem to do tests in order to rule out my CAT6 cables and my router. Same numbers, so it's not my router and cabling.

Torrents are not at all a reliable indicator of bandwidth. Your download speeds depend entirely on the number of seeds and their upload rates. You could have the best connection in the world and still get lousy torrent speeds because there aren't enough seeds and/or their upload rates are too low.

Newsgroups are a much more reliable indicator of download and upload speeds.

Just as YouTube is a very poor indicator as well. You can have the greatest connection in the world, and be able to download a file at 5MB/s, but YouTube will stream ungodly slow because they don't have the bandwidth available on their back end to handle all the requests. You can see this at prime time hours in fact. YouTube is ALWAYS slow to stream for me at around 8:00-10:00 at night for me. I have a 30Mbps connection as well, and regularly see around 3MB/s downloads from newsgroups.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo