Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

9. Re: Festivus Mobilization Dec 24, 2012, 12:24 Creston

Beamer wrote on Dec 24, 2012, 10:38:
1) They thought it would catch on. It didn't, but if it had this wouldn't be a huge deal

The fact a shitty computer with zero usefulness doesn't catch on shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone. Apparently it was to Microsoft. Their entire marketing department needs to be fired, because they obviously have no clue how to do market research.

2) It's the iPad competitor. iPads far outsell other computers, so jumping into that market instead of creating a new one makes sense

Except that you don't create a new market with a shitty product. I know that, and all I know about marketing is what I learned from dating a marketing major. (not recommended.)

Furthermore, everyone else has been trying to compete with the iPad, with FAR better machines than the Surface RT and failed horribly too, so why did MS think they were going to do any better? Oh wait, they're Microsoft, I forgot. They still think that their every move shakes the foundations of the universe. I don't know who's become more pathetic in their attempts to stay relevant: Microsoft or id software.

3) It's an apples-to-apples comparison. Consumers would have flipped out over the 2x price if the Pro came out first

That's possible, but at least at that point your salesmen can say "Yes, it's more expensive, BUT, it can do this, it can do that, it's compatible with all desktop apps, it's far more powerful than an iPad, yadda yadda yadda. You know all those things you wished an iPad could do? This does them."

That is how you sell a product. What were those salesmen going to say with the Surface RT? "Well, hey, look on the bright side. It's not as expensive as it could have been! And... uh... well, it has a cool name. It's almost like Surf! You'll be web-surfing on your Surface! If that isn't hip, I don't know WHAT is!"

4) They decided to go post-holidays to not piss off their hardware partners. It seems this was a very conscious decision to avoid butting heads with Dell, Toshiba, etc.

All of whom they are still throwing under the buss with the Surface anyway, and who they already threw under a buss with Windows 8 which is horrible for their hardware partners' computers. I doubt they really cared much. And in any case, that still doesn't explain why they didn't shove the Surface RT to summer 2013 then.

Releasing the Pro first was guaranteed death. Releasing the RT first doesn't seem as bad.

No, because it's sold like fucking hotcakes! Everyone I know has a Surface!

wait...

It's simple: You get customers interested with your most impressive looking and performing product. Then, when they inevitably realize they can't afford that one, you offer them a cheaper version.
Even fucking GM can figure this out in their advertisements, and they are about the most inept corporation on the entire planet.

Creston

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo