Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

28. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 22, 2012, 10:41 killer_roach

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 05:29:
Hopefully Valve will buy up the whole company, as I think that would be the best outcome. If not then Ubisoft is probably one of the better publishers, as it releases games on Steam and does excellent PC ports - EA would boycott Steam and require Origin; Activision would increase the price of games, make them all yearly series and fleece you on DLC; Bethesda seems to have no quality control;. 2K Games could be another reasonable choice but even though it has a larger revenue than Ubisoft it has a much lower operating income - it's really not being managed well.

UPlay certainly isn't necessary and is a minor annoyance but it's nothing compared to GFWL and it didn't really bother me with Far Cry 3.

Keep in mind that Ubisoft has a market cap of 750 million euro - just under $1 billion. They'd have to leverage themselves to the hilt to acquire THQ in total once they emerge from bankruptcy (as THQ's value was as low as it was due to its outstanding debt). They're just as likely, if not more, to be a "pick out pieces that we want" than even Valve would be (although Valve's actual market value is unknown since it's privately held, my best estimates would put it in the $1-3 billion range). For those wondering about Take-Two, they're almost exactly the same size as Ubisoft. (Just a wild guess, I'd place the value of a restructured THQ in the $500-800 million range, possibly as high as $1 billion.)

I've said before that the most likely players to acquire THQ in its entirety would be either Activision or Time Warner, with a bit of an edge to the latter. EA still is digesting a lot of their recent acquisitions, so I don't think they have much interest apart from possibly trying to pick up some IP on the cheap.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo