Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

23. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 22, 2012, 04:31 noman

Ubisoft have removed almost all of always-online requirements from older games, and none of the new games require that DRM.

Uplay, Origin and GFWL are all far better than Steam in terms of offline mode, and also account management. The offline mode actually works consistently and in a logical manner unlike Steam, where you often have to be online to go to offline mode. And second, all three of these services can work on multiple PCs using the same account (even same game on two different PCs simultaneously in case of Origin), whereas Steam barfs if you login from another PC, even if folks are playing different games on those two PCs.

I hope every major developer comes out with their own service, and Steam becomes just one of the available options, and to some extent that has already happened.

I use to eventually buy certain games at Steam but now with abundance of DRM-free titles (thanks to GoG and HumbleBundle and even Amazon on occasions) and better DRM policies elsewhere, there's nothing I have bought there in almost an year now. Doesn't make any sense to pick up Bastion, Legend of Grimrock, Alan Wake, Witcher2 and likes over there, when completely DRM free versions can be easily purchased.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo