Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

20. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 22:07 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 20:15:
I wouldn't expect you to understand Star Trek...or what constitutes a decent "flick" for that matter.

I strongly disagree with that statement, Cutter. One's opinion of the new 'vision' for Star Trek has nothing to do with one's Trek fanboy status. I happen to like the new one and I'm definitely a major Trek fanatic. I'm really looking forward to the sequel next year, too. To be honest, while I loved seeing the TNG cast on the big screen, the stories they were using for plots were getting seriously stale and cliche'd. It was obvious to most, whether we wanted it or not, that it was time to move on. Sure, they could have put in another movie or two. Hell, everyone thought ST IV was the last, then V (god forbid) and then VI. Nimoy and Shatner are getting old, there's no way around it anymore. I love them to death but like the possibility of seeing another 'Lethal Weapon', you just had to wonder...how? Sure, they could do a 'pass the torch'-type of story to a new crew but I think the way it was handled ultimately (in the 2009 film) was more interesting. Yeah, time travel and alternate realities, blah, blah. I know. But once the cat was out, you had no choice but to skin it...er, uh, I mean you couldn't put it back in the bag again. They went there in IV and in 'Generations' and then in 'First Contact', so, wth, why not, eh? They did a good job with the acting and the visuals and respecting most of the previous series design. Obviously not everyone was going to like it. There are die hards that think the Enterprise re-design was sacrilege. So be it. The fact is what it is. This is the path they chose to take and barring getting a hold of billions of dollars and the rights from Paramount's cold, dead, bloated corpse, we're just gonna have to make the best of what we get. I thought they did a good job, I really do and I enjoy watching it. It doesn't slow down much and things are constantly moving ahead. It could have been worse! Uwe could have gotten a hold of it! Then where would we be?

Those that mentioned EGA Trek, it's funny you bring that up because I was just playing that this afternoon! I love it! Such a simple, easy to play game but hard to master. Almost like a game of solitaire or checkers/chess. Really wish there was an updated-ish Window-native version. If I knew programming, I'd do it myself. Just a straight port with a minor graphical update. Nothing more. FTL kinda of fills the role, but in different ways. You know another game like that is 'Rules of Engagement 2' (and the first one also). A little more in-depth but same kind of premise. Not Trek-related but you can tell it was at least influenced by it. (Check it out here if you haven't heard of it) I have ROE2 and used to have the whole box with manuals and everything but sold it. Now I can't find the manals anywhere! They were really thick, like 300 pages or so, too and detailed, with a very intricate background story. Wish I could find the manuals online in a PDF. Even replacementdocs.com only has the manuals from the first version. No one seems to have the second.

That Artemis space-sim is a blast! You have to have like six or seven PC's/tablet's/notebook's hooked up and/or networked to get it going but once you get over that hurdle, wow! Like was said, pair that with a Bridge Commander-type sim... *drool* Drool

Now I'm gonna go play some more ROE2 and EGA Trek, you got me thinkin' about it...I should be workin'!

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2012, 00:21.

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo